Travel tips for a stress-free family road trip
Families take an average of 5.3 road trips each year. With a little planning and organization, parents can save their sanity and make travel time easy and
stress free for the whole family.
One of the single most important things you can do when you travel is to prepare as much as possible beforehand by getting directions and planning your
route. Parents need to be flexible and prepared for the unexpected traffic delays and car troubles and keep in mind that when you get tense, so do your
kids. Also, make sure you look into alternate routes just in case roads are closed or traffic is unusually heavy.
Toward stress-free travel
When you’re on the road, make your travel times an enjoyable experience for everyone. Here are a few ideas and tips to make the miles pass faster:
- Create a “Boredom Bag” for each child, with age-appropriate toys, such as crayons, activity books and electronic games.
- Pack a baking sheet in the back pocket of the seat that the kids can use as a desk for coloring or as a tray for snacks and mealtimes.
- Remember comfy favorites like pillows, blankets and stuffed animals so the kids can feel comfortable napping in the car.
- Play word games and reward them with little trinkets, stickers or goodies from your “Surprise Bag” when the kids start to get a little anxious.
- Help small children select special toys that are appropriate for car travel, and make sure they pack a “blankie” for nighttime.
- Make the most of your stops by choosing locations that allow you to grab snacks, get a cup of fresh coffee or a cold soda, give everyone a bathroom break
and gas up the car at the same time.
- Take advantage of convenient timesavers, such as Speedpass™, which can be used at Exxon and Mobil gas stations and On
the Run® convenience stores across the country. Speedpass allows you to quickly pay for gas or convenience store items with the wave of your
hand, so you can get what you need and be on your way in a flash.
A road trip is a great opportunity to create family memories – it’s about the journey, not just the destination. You can relish the quality time together
and build memories that will last for years to come.