You should follow the same environmentally sound procedures that you do with conventional motor oil. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) guidelines
for disposal include:
• Do not dump used motor oil in the trash.
• Do not pour it on the ground or down the sewer or storm drain.
• Place the used motor oil in a closed container.
• Take it to a service station or a collection location that recycles used motor oil.
• Do not burn the used motor oil in a space heater.
• To make it easier to recycle, do not mix motor oil with other substances, such as gasoline or antifreeze.
Many Exxon and Mobil service stations will take used motor oil from do-it-yourselfers and will follow EPA-approved recycling practices. Please note that it is acceptable to mix used Mobil 1 with used conventional oil. In short, Mobil 1 should be disposed of in the same manner as used conventional motor oil.
Find out more about how to dispose of used oil, and locate proper disposal locations in your area.