First, let's be clear about the overall benefits of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:
• Superior long-term engine protection
• Superior high-temperature stability
• Excellent low-temperature starting
• Outstanding engine performance
• Low volatility/low oil consumption
It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1™ motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences between the two Mobil 1 motorcycle oils.
• In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation.
• For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers.
• Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum.
• Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of anti-wear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).